Steps to reproduce:
Most browsers in windows/mac/linux have the default universal tab-switching keyboard shortcut of ctrl+tab and ctrl+tab+shift. But macOS browsers seem to have an additional default tab-switching shortcut of cmd+option+left/right arrow.
On Orion RC (undetermined if it applies to Orion), it seems like tab switching via this shortcut stops working after maybe 30-60+ minutes post orion startup. I have never ran into this issue with any other browser.
***These may not be the exact/only steps (although I've tried finding them out). Reproduction is shaky at best in my experience, and while I’ve unintentionally reproduced the issue around 5-10 times so far, there were times when I’ve doubted whether this was even an issue to begin with. There have been browsing sessions where I wasn't able to reproduce it.
- Launch Orion RC, and notice that the browser-style tab switching (with cmd+option, not ctrl+tab) works initially
1.5(?). Install the onetab extension and run it.
- After some time period (of possibly around 30-60 min of regular usage), suddenly that same kb shortcut doesnt work anymore. I'll add further clarification on the steps and time period if I find that out.
- The tabs I had open and were using in that time period were majority youtube, some orionfeedback and instagram. I have not seen the issue be reproduced by idling in an empty new tab page.
- Sleeping macOS doesn’t seem to fix it. Restarting Orion does.
Possibly important notes:
- In this state, mouse cursor seems to disappear when kb shortcut pressed (unless it's moving at the same time)
- In this orionfeedback window, while the textbox cursor is active: When trying to invoke cmd+opt+arrow, the cursor jumps between start and end of current line, which is what only cmd+arrow is supposed to do (not cmd+arrow AND option). And by arrow I mean only left/right for this entire report.
- When the mac cursor focus switches back to orion after some idle time (also unknown # of minutes), the first 1-2 cmd+opt+arrow presses does work, then stops working.
- The following feature request https://orionfeedback.org/d/1845-support-cmd-shift-leftcmd-shift-right-to-switch-tabs-matching-safari is a bit different using shift rather than option, but neither orion nor safari seem to work with this on my end anyways. So it might be irrelevant.
On all the mainstream browsers, cmd+option+left/right arrows will switch between tabs
This is the same as what ctrl+tab and ctrl+shift+tab does, except on orion it's continuing to work, unlike cmd+option+arrow
Orion, OS version; hardware type:
Version 0.99.125.2-rc (WebKit 616.1.22)
Build date Sep 17 2023
MacBook Pro (macOS Sonoma 14.0 build 23A339)
I forgot to disable all extensions in this recording. I'll comment if I manage to trigger the bug with all extensions disabled.
The second media above shows what cmd+option+arrow does in an google sheets environment. This didn't happen when the main issue of this bug report was reproduced/triggered. But it might be loosely related. Maybe Orion isn't correctly prioritizing the kb shortcut behavior over the webpage/webapp kb shortcuts. When I am able to switch tabs, I switch into that google sheets tab, then get stuck in it because it 'caught' that kb shortcut to do what it wanted with it. I don't know if the word "precedence" would apply here.